Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Candle in the Dark

I love Science. Science isn't just a subject we learn about in grade school. Its not the thing that you have to memorize facts for and study. Science is a PROCESS. Its a growing organism. Drawing upon an statement by Neil deGrasse Tyson, science is an apple. The skin of the apple is very rough, filled with colorful and tasty facts that are intriguing and awe inspiring, but are also challenged and merely approximations. Deeper within the fruit is the real substance, the essence of well established scientific understanding. And deeper still are the seeds of law. Fundamental kernels off of which every other fact protects. The beauty of the system is that it self corrects, so every day it is more accurate than the previous. We do not claim to know everything, but those things that we do assert to know have been well established as scientific theory through multiple lines of empirical evidence that have been tested and retested and retested. The time for speculation is over. Faith is unnecessary. Yea, I like Science.

I also love learning. I like finding out that I'm wrong. You wouldn't think it to talk or debate with me, but I really do like to know when I am wrong. Being wrong about something is an incredible experience because it lets you know that you are now that much closer to finding truth. I am obsessed with truth. I can see no more noble pursuit than the search for truth, both as an individual and as a finite species. Its not like we as humans have anything else to do, everything we do and build and think is finite. We might as well do and build and think the greatest things possible, and milk everything we can out of our simple insignificant existence here in this Universe.

Finally,
I love life. I want to live my life and make my decisions and learn what I can without being limited by anyone or anything else. And I want to allow others the same life that I wish for. We humans are empathetic creatures. Our brains, in some ways, literally feel what the people around us feel. Let me live how I wish to live, and I will let you live how you wish to live. This is liberty. This is freedom. This is how we allow each and every person to live to their absolute fullest, so long as we don't step on each other's toes.

One other thing.
I love my freedom of speech. I will use it to try to inspire, propose, protest, blaspheme, explain, and express all that I am and think to the people around me. If I insult you as a person, I apologize sincerely. People deserve every ounce of respect. Ideas, however, do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment